We need to be where our potential clients are, and nine out of 10 internet users are now on social media. Most of them will spend a whopping 144 minutes a day on social media.
People refer to people they know, like and trust. Social media can be a powerful tool to connect with your audience, build trust and increase your credibility. Here are a few tips to help you make the most out of social media and attract clients to you:
- Optimize your profiles. Your social media profiles should be complete and up to date. Include a professional profile picture, a clear and concise bio, and a link to your website. This helps potential clients find you and understand who you are and what you do. Sign up to Google My Business to claim your business and get reviews to improve your reach and credibility.
- Create engaging content. Aim your posts at your ideal clients, keeping them in mind when you create the content that is aligned with your purpose, your values and your interests. Remember, people buy people, not products. Tell stories and share good news. Help your clients see how what you can do for them is going to make a difference in their lives.
- Engage with your audience. Remember, social media is a two-way conversation. You need to be actively engaging with your audience by responding to comments, answering and asking questions, and sharing relevant content.
- Be real. Show your passion and your why.
- Measure your results. Track your social media metrics to see what’s working and what’s not. Tools such as Google Analytics will measure your reach, engagement and conversion rates. This helps you refine your strategy and improve your results over time.
Think about social media within the bigger marketing ecosystem: How does it link to blog posts, podcasts, networking, newsletters and websites? It’s a small cog in a big wheel, but it is important.
Social media can be a gamechanger, but it’s not a sales pitch. It’s a way to build relationships and connect.
Carla Brown, of Cuddington, England, UK, is a six-year MDRT member and a Top of the Table member. This was excerpted from her 2023 MDRT Annual Meeting presentation. (MDRT member exclusive)
Learn more tips for social media marketing: